How to write business e-mails?
Many people who use e-mail on a daily basis do not pay attention to the linguistic correctness of the content of the messages sent. They believe that it is a tool for quick communication, and the spelling rules are of secondary importance in this case. Nothing could be more wrong, because regardless of the nature of the message and the addressee, e-mails should be drafted correctly.
Some basic rules
Nowadays, the style in which a person expresses himself significantly influences how others perceive him / her. This is especially true when running your own business, where gaining new contractors in order to cooperate or propose an enterprise's offer plays an important role. Clear, concise and, above all, stylistically correct e-mail messages will certainly be more successful than those written in a sloppy and inconsiderate manner.
Grammatical and linguistic correctness is not a field that is intended only for humanists. By applying a few useful spelling rules, everyone will be able to efficiently and quickly create messages devoid of basic mistakes made in everyday electronic communication.
It is worth paying attention primarily to:
- spelling - there is probably nothing that will discourage the addressee more than a message with spelling mistakes. For this purpose, it is worth familiarizing yourself with the basic spelling rules, thanks to which you will immediately know how to write a given word while typing. Virtually every program for writing text documents and browsers are adapted to automatic error detection, which makes work much easier;
- punctuation - typing an e-mail quickly does not excuse the author from not using punctuation marks. It happens that people in business correspondence use such signs, but in private messages they regularly omit them. This is not a good practice, because sometimes not including a comma in a complex sentence can become a habit. There are many readily available sources of knowledge about the basic rules of punctuation, and knowing them will allow you to include them in texts without thinking;
- stylistics - the ability to properly shape the expression is very important, especially when the addressee is a person with whom you intend to cooperate. Before sending a message, it is always worth reviewing it again in terms of purposefulness, usefulness and the choice of language means used.
- grammar - no matter what language the author of the message uses, he or she must know the basic rules of grammar. This field deals with the study of linguistic rules and the correct building of words and sentences. Generally speaking, these are rules that apply to the correctness of statements.
Quotations are also an important issue in electronic correspondence. When quoting statements from other people, it should be clearly stated that they are not of our authorship. For this purpose, it is worth using tools such as quotation marks or italics, which will cover the entire speech and clearly indicate that the given content is not authored by the sender. Importantly, due to the appearance of the message, it is worth using the chosen method consistently throughout the statement.
- Using a quote with quotation marks: It is worth quoting one of the opinions: "Linguistic correctness is a very important element of the statement."
- Apply a quote in italics: In this case, one of the following opinions can be cited: Linguistic correctness is a very important element of the statement.
Knowing a few tips about punctuation when quoting other people is also helpful. If the quoted sentence ends with a question mark or an exclamation point, the quotation marks should be placed at the end of the statement - right after the above-mentioned signs:
- "Linguistic correctness is a very important element of the statement, it should always be used in electronic correspondence!"
However, when the quotation is only part of the sentence, the closing quote mark should be placed before the full stop of the sentence:
- "Linguistic correctness is a very important part of the statement."
What to pay attention to when creating the regulations of the online store
Spelling of hyphens
Many people do not use such a useful sign as a hyphen in their written statements at all. It plays a fairly important role, which is to emphasize important points contained in the sentence, without using additional commas or parentheses. When extracting parts of sentences, you should put a space both before and after the dash, e.g. Linguistic correctness - as a very important element of utterance - should be respected in electronic correspondence. However, in the spelling of some two-part words, you should include a dash without spaces, e.g. on-line, buying and selling.
Spelling of numbers
Different forms of entering numerical values should be used in different cases. The most important point is not to start a sentence with a number or a number. Numerical values in sentences should always be preceded by at least one word.
It is worth remembering to write the values from 1 to 9 in words, e.g. Two words, while numbers above 10 can already be written as Arabic numerals, e.g. 11 pieces, art. 22.
- number - should be used with countable nouns, e.g. number of clients, number of questions, number of texts,
- quantity - should be used with uncountable nouns, e.g. amount of money, amount of bread.
If a person who uses e-mail on a daily basis learns the basic rules of spelling, then he will certainly be better perceived by the recipients of the message. It is important, above all, in business or business contacts, where the most important issue is getting a client or business partner.