Keyword selection - how to choose keywords for positioning?
It is no secret to anyone that in the area of content marketing, the selection of keywords is one of the most important elements responsible for our position in search results. Thoroughly analyzing the selection of keywords will allow you to unleash the potential of our SEO campaign and increase the reach.
Why is skillful keyword selection so important for business?
Let's start by explaining why we should even worry about key phrases in planning our SEO activities. What are keywords? These are nothing but signposts that we leave to search engines (mainly Google). Thanks to appropriately selected keywords, these search engines can find important data about our website, business, place where we run it and the products we offer.
If we take the selection of key phrases seriously, taking into account as many target groups as possible and each element of the sales life cycle, the search engine will display our online store or blog to users more often and more precisely. This in turn leads to an increase in the number of visits and an increase in sales.
What types of keywords do we distinguish?
Keywords differ from one another in terms of function, use, and power. In order to be able to freely choose the most relevant key phrases, it is worth knowing their basic types. How do we break down keywords? Mainly on:
- general keywords - these are the simplest phrases that are limited to a maximum of one or two words. Examples of such keywords are, for example, a keyboard, a summer dress, or debris removal. These are phrases that focus on a specific service or product without focusing on any details. These are phrases that are not impressive in terms of effectiveness, mainly due to the fact that every organization providing services similar to us or offering similar products uses the same keywords.
- brand keywords - these are words that can more or less guide the user to a specific product offered by our company, but without the need to enter a specific website address. If the name of our company is unique, and the name of the website is taken directly from the name of the company, the user, by entering the phrase "product, company name", will easily find our website, which will appear at the top of the search results.
- long tail keywords - a group of phrases longer than 3 words that are much less searched by users, but are relatively effective. This is because if someone enters such a detailed phrase in the search box, we can assume that they are already determined to buy. Examples of long tail phrases include "replacement of the Gliwice iPhone battery" or "cheap sofas made of Warsaw pallets".
How to choose the right keywords?
How to select keywords that will ensure our website high positions in the search results of each target group of customers? It's easiest to analyze your business inside out. How to do it?
At the very beginning, let's consider all the products or services we offer. Let this be the core of our key phrases. The basic keywords will include phrases related to the subject of our business and the regional phrase (furniture assembly Białystok), if we operate locally. Another important element is getting into the client's skin and considering how he enters certain phrases into the Google search engine in order to hit the desired results. However, the Google search itself will help us in this. By entering a specific phrase in the search engine, at the very bottom of the page, we can see other phrases often typed by users. This, in turn, may lead us to the use of such or very similar key phrases.
Tools that will help in choosing keywords
In planning keywords, we can also use dedicated tools that can offer us relevant keywords. Some of the popular tools are free, while others require a subscription. What software should I use when creating a keyword repository? Above all:
- Google Search Console - is a tool that works great when our website is already available on the web. It is thanks to GSC that we will find out what users enter in the search engine immediately before hitting our website.
- Senuto - Software that prompts over 20 million key phrases. The tool examines the Polish Google market on an ongoing basis and guarantees us full information on the trends and seasonality of given key phrases, which can be extremely important in planning SEO campaigns.
- Answer The Public - This is a free open-source tool that allows us to verify which questions, based on a given keyword, are most often entered in the search engine by users.
Start a free 30-day trial period with no strings attached!
How to position key phrases on your website?
How optimal our website will be in terms of Google criteria depends on whether the selection of keywords will be accurate and where we use keywords on our website. It is the location of such phrases that is of great importance in the process of positioning our website. Where should we use our keyword phrases?
The most important tag that positions our website is of course the title, and this is where we should include a strong key phrase. In addition, of course, the tag and meta description are places that should be properly saturated with keywords.
Let's also not forget about the content available on the website. There are a number of tips that can greatly improve the optimization of our website for keywords. An example would be placing a keyword phrase in the first paragraph on the page, directly below the h1 tag. Remember, however, that the content available on the website should not be one big cluster of key phrases - such strange creations do not look aesthetically pleasing, and also arouse mixed feelings in users who want to learn something about our company.