Family benefits and learning allowances for children
The rules for determining, awarding and paying family allowances are regulated in the Act of November 28, 2003 on family benefits (Journal of Laws of 2017, item 1952). The role of family benefits is to partially finance the costs of maintaining and bringing up a child. Various types of family benefits and state support provide allowances for children's education. It should be emphasized that family benefits are most often paid at the request of entitled persons in a one-off form or monthly during the school year. Granting family allowances to parents, legal guardians and students depends on meeting the criteria set out in the Act on family benefits. The right to family allowance is determined after meeting the basic criteria (Article 6 of the Act on Family Benefits), i.e.
- the income criterion (monthly family income per person in the family may not exceed: PLN 674 or PLN 764 if a family member is a person with a certificate of disability),
- the age criterion, with the obligation to study, i.e. until the child turns 18 or attends school, respectively, but not longer than until the age of 21, or
- 24 years of age, if he or she continues education at school or university and has a certificate of moderate or severe disability.
It is worth emphasizing that a person studying at school or in higher education is entitled to family allowance no longer than until the age of 24. According to the definition, a learner is an adult in education who is not dependent on his parents due to their death or in connection with the determination of a court judgment or court settlement of the right to maintenance on their part (Article 3 (13) of the Act on Family Benefits ).
The amount of the family allowance is monthly:
- PLN 95.00 for a child up to the age of 5;
- PLN 124.00 for a child from 5 to 18 years of age;
- PLN 135.00 for a child over 18 up to 24 years of age.
Family benefits and supplements to family allowance
The catalog of supplements to the family allowance is included in Art. 8 of the Act on family benefits, in particular for children in education. Therefore, it is worth paying attention to the following benefits for:
- education and rehabilitation of a disabled child;
- the beginning of the school year;
- the child taking up education at school outside the place of residence.
Principles of granting allowances for learning children
The allowance for education and rehabilitation of a disabled child is granted to the mother or father, the actual guardian of the child or the legal guardian of the child, as well as the person in education to cover the increased expenses related to the rehabilitation or education of a child aged (Article 13 of the Act on Family Benefits):
- until the age of 16, if they have a disability certificate;
- from the age of 16 to the age of 24, if they have a moderate or severe disability certificate.
The supplement is due monthly in the amount of:
- PLN 90.00 for a child up to the age of 5;
- PLN 110.00 for a child over 5 up to 24 years of age.
The allowance for the beginning of the school year is granted to the mother or father, the actual guardian of the child or the legal guardian of the child, as well as the person in education to partially cover the expenses related to the beginning of the new school year at school.
- The supplement is also payable for a child starting the one-year kindergarten preparation.
- The supplement is granted once a year in connection with the beginning of the school year or the annual pre-school preparation, in the amount of PLN 100.00 per child.
A person who would like to receive family allowance and supplements to the above-mentioned benefit should confirm the commencement or continuation of education, respectively:
- a school certificate or a declaration that the child attends school or
- a certificate of higher education institution or a declaration of attending a higher education institution.
It is worth remembering that the application for the payment of the supplement should be submitted by the end of the benefit period in which the school year or the annual pre-school preparation began. The supplement for the started school year 2020/2021 should be applied for by 31 October 2020 at the latest. The application submitted after the deadline is not examined by the competent authority (Article 14 of the Act on family benefits).
The supplement for the child taking up education at school outside the place of residence is granted to the mother or father of the child, the legal guardian or the actual guardian of the child or the person in education (Article 15 of the Act on family benefits):
- in connection with living in the town where the seat of a secondary school or an art school where the compulsory education and education are carried out, as well as a primary school in the case of a child or a student with a certificate of disability or a degree of disability - in the amount of PLN 113 or
- in connection with travel from the place of residence to the city where the school is located, in the case of travel to a secondary school, as well as an art school where the compulsory education and the obligation to study in the scope corresponding to education in a post-primary school are carried out - in the amount of PLN 69 per month per child.
The supplement is granted for 10 months a year during the period of studying from September to June of the following calendar year.
Start a free 30-day trial period with no strings attached!
A person who would like to apply for a supplement to the family allowance due to the child taking up education in a school outside the place of residence, should enclose with the application for child allowance:
- school certificate or a declaration that the child is attending school outside the place of residence,
- a certificate or statement confirming the student's temporary residence outside the place of residence,
- other documents, including declarations, necessary to determine the right to the supplement to the family allowance for the child taking up education at school outside the place of residence.
It is worth remembering that supplements to the family allowance are granted at the request of the entitled person. Most often, the above-mentioned applications are submitted when filling in the appropriate places in the application for determining the right to family allowance, but also supplements to the family allowance. It should be noted that the application template has been specified in Annex 1 to the Regulation of the Minister of Family, Labor and Social Policy on proceedings in cases for family benefits (Journal of Laws of 2015, item 2284, as amended).
It should be added that the commune council may, by way of a resolution, increase the amounts of supplements to the family allowance. The increase in the amount of the allowances is financed from the commune's own funds (Article 15a of the Act on family benefits).
It is worth recalling that according to the legal solution of the so-called of the "PLN for PLN" act, families exceeding the income threshold will not be automatically deprived of the allowance. Allowances and other benefits will be reduced by the amount by which the income threshold is exceeded.
The family income per person amounts to PLN 682.00, therefore the benefit will be paid to the family less PLN 8. So if the family exceeds the criterion by PLN 1, it will receive the benefit reduced by PLN 1, if by PLN 35 it will receive the benefit reduced by PLN 35. The minimum benefit paid will be PLN 20. If this difference amounted to PLN 19, then the benefits will not be paid.
To sum up, in the benefit period from November 1, 2019 to October 31, 2020, the amount of family allowance for children is:
- PLN 95.00 for a child up to the age of 5,
- PLN 124.00 for a child over the age of 5 up to the age of 18,
- PLN 135.00 for a child over 18 up to 24 years of age.
In addition, guardians may apply for additional benefits in connection with the education of children:
- PLN 100.00 per child as the starting point for the school year;
- PLN 90.00 if the child is under 5 years of age as an allowance to education and rehabilitation of a disabled child, or PLN 110 per month until the 24th birthday;
- PLN 69.00 supplement for a child who undertakes education outside the place of residence. If the child is transferred to the town where the school is located, the allowance amounts to PLN 113.